Tuesday 11 August 2009

Rain is good

Yesterday's rain has damped everything down locally, and hopefully helped damp down all those wildfires on the mainland. Personally speaking I like Canadian rain. Rain is good. It wets the bones of the country and strengthens them. It brings coolness and damps down the mosquitoes and other biting insects.

When rain falls here for more than a couple of hours, the forests look as though the hills are on fire. The gross transpiration of the trees pushing huge clouds of water vapour into the air. It's quite spectacular.

Yesterday my day job took me on a hundred mile trek up Island and it poured every single mile. Was I bothered? Not one jot. Did I need special waterproofs? No. Not in British Columbian Summer rain. It's like the rain in Ireland is reputed to be, soft and healing. Not chill, harsh and miserable like English precipitation, but vaguely warm, gentle and polite as most Canadians are. Maybe it's something in the water. I don't know. All I do know is that it's not unpleasant, even nice.

Thursday; As it's raining again today, here's an update with what I think are some of the coolest rock intro's ever put together from the 70'sand 80's (I think there are even a couple of 90's tracks in there somewhere)
.
My all time favourite being the opening track for 'concerto for a rainy day'.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails