Wednesday 18 August 2010

Electrosensitive insanity

You know, there are some people who really need to grow up, stand up and stop falling for every scare story under the sun. The latest scare is our old friend 'will radio signals make my head explode?' This is a bunch of people in Barrie, Ontario, who are frightened that Wi-Fi signals will give them and / or their children Cancer. Apparently the scare comes from a guy called Steve Miller in the UK (I think I met him once) who claims to be hypersensitive to Wi-Fi signals (but probably only the ones he is told about). Steve says he takes refuge on a Cornish house with 18 inch thick granite walls. Well then, I hope it's well ventilated to prevent the build up of Radon gas then Stevie me boy. I hope you remembered not to have one of those fashionable granite kitchen counters installed either. Either that or it's a publicity stunt for his latest album. Which begs the question; how could he bear to be in a recording studio with all that electrical stuff around if his electro-sensitivity gives him such bad headaches?

As for the group lobbying their school board, I hope they don't let their kids too near the TV. Oh my giddy aunt.

There's a lot of this sort of thing about, and I'm talking about the hysteria. Some part of the modern world is deemed harmful in some poorly researched study, and then silly and suggestible people go to great lengths to avoid it and like Gwynneth Paltrow, end up getting something worse than a natural response to sunlight.

Every time I read a story in the press saying heretofore innocuous stuff is 'bad for you' I just burst out laughing. I mean talk about gullibilty. If those folk up in Barrie are interested, I can sell them Mason Jars full of clean British Columbian air at fifty bucks a time (Not including postage) to help dispel those pesky household Ontario miasmas. Guaranteed fresh bottled (Not compressed or processed) on my deck at six every morning. Failing that, I also believe I can get you a share of Tower Bridge, London for a reasonable price. Only a hundred thousand bucks a throw and that's cutting me own throat guv'nor.

There is no proof that low intensity radio energies are harmful. Yet there are those who won't gainfully occupy their minds, and rather like my Mother in Law, invent things to worry about. My take on it is this; there are people out there so concerned about dying, they forget how to live.

2 comments:

Angry Exile said...

Electro-sensitivity - proof that physicists have been wrong about the inverse square law all these years. Wrong, d'you hear!

Darleen Witmer said...

I am thinking they are crazy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails