Wednesday 26 August 2009

A brief obituary

I don't usually comment on the passing of a politician, but in this case I will make an exception and break my usual habit of de mortuis nil nisi bonum. Senator Edward Kennedy is dead. Well I can't say I'm sorry to hear the news. Perhaps the fires in a small corner of Hell are burning a little brighter.

For Mary Jo Kopechne who he left to drown alone.

For the victims of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, for which he was openly complicit in raising money for terrorist weapons . 'Campaigner for peace'? Hah!

Now Ex-Senator Edward Kennedy is being lauded by the new US President for his 'achievements'. Oh dearie me. I'm sure the Northern Irish graveyards, and in some cases the unmarked and unknown graves funded by Senator Kennedy's efforts are not unappreciative. As someone with Irish antecedents I feel disgusted that the UK government gave him an honorary knighthood. Not in my name, say I. Nor in the name of my family.

He is gone. Today the world feels a little (But not much) cleaner.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails