Tuesday 24 February 2009

A minor domestic matter

There is a source of nascent marital discord in our household. Not the kids, as our two are at differing universities studying for their degrees. Not the dog, despite his occasional gaseous alimentary effusions. It's not money. It has to do with time on the computer.

The thing is that since my old laptop finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, both Wife and I can only work on our one Computer. Wife uses Skype to keep in touch with her family. She will spend hours talking when I want / need to be writing and working. Her new job means that she does a lot of home based research.

Now from this humble male's perspective I think she does too much research, endlessly going over the same old ground immigrationwise in the seeming hope that things will somehow suddenly change. For myself I think she's often barking up the wrong tree in the wrong damn forest. From a chaps point of view this is annoying because we could be doing more fun stuff, like kayaking or taking trips.

Seeing as the rest of the world seems hell bent on sending itself to economic hades with climate cap and trade and other assorted moonbattery we might as well have some fun while we still can. I was even thinking of spending some cash on a hunting licence and a decent hunting crossbow, or maybe see if I can pass the gun course and buy myself a shotgun for hunting. At least that way we'd have a chance of staying properly fed if the worlds economy really does go tits up. Fresh venison anyone? I do a pretty decent hearty stew and have few qualms about killing and preparing my own dinner from field to dinner plate.

Maybe I'm just overreacting, and we humans will do what we normally do, muddle through the current mess somehow. A few people will get killed by storming winter palaces, barricades, and sauntering past overstressed riot police with their hands in their pockets, but I'm buggered if I'm going to be amongst their number. My days of kicking over the traces and trying to buck the system are long past. I'll protect my own kith and kin as best I can and let the rest look to themselves. Call me selfish, but my family comes first. I've seen the rest of society emotionally naked and red in tooth and claw in glorious technicolour close up, and I wasn't that impressed.

Update: Old computer has been scrounged and I've elected to install and learn Linux (God help me) so we can both carry on working at the same time. There is hope that any impending domestic apocalypse may yet be averted. Oh what the hell, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails